Sunday, November 22, 2009

Nez Perce Tribe Story

Picture by Smithsonian
Hello, my name is Evelyn, which means beauty, radiance, and Little Eve in my foreign language, Native American. I am 23 and I am from the Nez Perce tribe. My tribe name means those with pierced noses. My tribe is from Idaho, eastern Oregon and eastern Washington in the North West. I am going to tell you a story about my life.

As my daughters, Nina and Sokanon, played with their puppies in their cradleboards, mini tipis, and small baskets, and my son Achak played with his bow and arrow, I made us a meal of salmon, potatoes, and wild grapes. My husband, Huritt, was out hunting and my sister Huyana was sewing just outside our tipi.

Just then my husband Huritt came in from hunting, and my sister Huyana came in our tipi from sewing. Huritt said that today while he was hunting with the other hunters, Gaba’s horse Starlight had been hurt in the leg. Gaba stayed with Starlight to keep her safe while Huritt and Goopa went to the village to get bandages and healing medicine. The other hunters had gone on hunting for food.

As Huritt was telling me this, he suddenly said “Ow!” I asked him what the matter was. He said his ankle hurt badly. He was afraid he had sprained his ankle when he jumped off his horse, fell flat on the ground, and ran all the way to the tipi to get help. He was afraid that he may not be able to go back to help Starlight and Gaba. He asked me if I would go back for him. I said yes, I would love to go. I left the tipi and I met up Goopa. He asked me where Herrit was. I told him that I was going to travel back with him. I told him that Huritt had hurt his ankle badly and that I was going in his place. Then we set off toward Gaba and Starlight. We had to hurry to get there before the horse’s wounds got worse.

When we got there, Gaba was asleep and so was Starlight. Just then, we saw a snake near Gaba and Starlight. The snake looked like it was about to attack them. Goopa and I rode up toward the serpent and killed it with our spears before it could attack Gaba and Starlight. Gaba and Starlight suddenly woke up. They were startled at what had happened while they had been asleep. We had the healing medicine and bandages for Starlight. The men and I put healing medicine on the wound on Starlight’s leg, and wrapped it in bandages. Then we helped Starlight get up and stand on her feet. Then Goopa got on his horse, Mystic, and I got on my horse Shadow. Gaba held onto Starlight’s mane and led her home with us.

When we got home, everybody cheered for us and for our bravery. When I got back to my tipi, Huritt, Huyana, Nina, Sokana, and Achak were all sitting down to eat. When I asked Huritt how his leg was, he said it was much better. Everybody in our tipi was very glad that I had returned home safely. After we had eaten our dinner, we all sat down in front of the fire and I told them about my great journey.

This is the end of my story. I hope it made you want to go and find out more about my tribe, the Nez Perce.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you included the perspective of a real Nez Perce woman. Did you research her and write it up yourself? Or is this an actual old document?

    ReplyDelete