Thursday, November 19, 2009

Nez Perce Facts

Nez Perce Facts

I learned that the food the Nez Perce tribe ate were the following things: potatoes, corn, tomatoes, melon, beans, squash, pumpkin, salmon, huckleberries, camas roots, service berries, currants, strawberries, blueberries, wild grapes and cranberries.

I learned that some of the toys that the Nez Perce children played with were small baskets, pots, bows and arrows, horses, teepees, real puppies, cradleboards, and travois’s.

I learned that some traditional activities that the Nez Perce people would do were hunting, sewing, and fishing.

I learned that one of their games was the stick game. Some games were played at just a certain time of the year. Also, some games were just for certain people like only for girls, or only for warriors. The Nez Perce spent lots of time learning the rules, making the pieces, and practicing. In all of their games, there was no winner or loser, but teamwork was the most important thing.

I learned that traditionally the Nez Perce people traveled as far as the
Great Plains during the hunting season. I also learned that Nez Perce means ‘those with pierced noses.’

I learned that 17 million acres of the Nez Perce land was taken by white settlers that were moving westward. That left the Nez Perce with only about 138, 000 acres left.

I learned that Huyana means falling rain, that Nina means fire and that Sokanon means rain (in Native American language). I also learned that Huritt means handsome that Achak means spirit, and that Evelyn means Beauty, radiance, and Little Eve (in Native American language).


I learned a lot about the Nez Perce tribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment